Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 07:31:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        steve@snuggly.demon.co.uk (Steve Roome)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YMF719 - configuration hell!

> The problems I'm getting are with the mixer settings, rplayd
> gives me this warning whenever I start it up :
>
> rplayd: rplay_audio_get_volume: pcm mixer device not installed

could be that rplayd is trying to use /dev/mixer0...

> Which seem okay.
>
> Also, as this machine is a dual boot to Windows I can tell you that
> no matter what one does to the card in FreeBSD it only ever gets out
> about 50% the volume that the Windows driver manages on plain audio.

kind of known problem -- the yamaha has some extra registers for
overall volume setting which are not handled by the driver. In fact there
is some code which deals with such registers on the YMF711/715 (i think
-- i am using them on the libretto) but just sets them to max volume.

> 1) How on earth can I get the mixer to work properly ?

see above -- the mixer works as you see, it is rplayd which needs to be
taught to use it.

> 2) How can I get the Voxware driver to work for this chipset, I think
> it's probably possible, but using pnp at the same time makes it somewhat
> harder to get anywhere.

you mean the commercial one ?

> 3) Has anyone got a similar card to use soundblaster mode at all ?

some might, but MSS mode is the one which works best.

> 4) Anyone got a datasheet on this chipset...

not that i know of.

> There's most of the other YMFXXXX chipset datasheets available here :
>
> ftp://ftp.yamahayst.com/pub/Fax_Back_Doc/Sound/
>
> ..b ut nothing specifically for the 719, and I've got too slow a link
> to get the 715 sheet and see if it mentions anything at all!
>
> I'm perfectly prepared to make a lot of changes to the code if need
> be (well, by that, I mean I'm prepared to spend a a few hours if I
> knew what to do that is).
>
> Finally, here's what the card think's about itself at boot time.
>

> CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0800 [0x0008a865] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f
> [0x2fb0d041]
> Sound system attempting to use MSS codec.
> 2. again using vend_id of a865
> Sound specific settings for Yamaha
> 3. using vend_id of a865
> 3. Using special Volume settings for Yamaha card.

that should be the volume setting to max that i mentioned.

	cheers
	luigi