Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 16:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@fusion.unixfreak.org>
To:        dan@freebsddiary.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd boot floppies

Bruce sent me this reply to the same question:

> >     Use ata0 (disk) and ata1 (cdrom). I expect your machine is old
> >    enough (like my P90 Toshiba) to require the "legacy" wd mode, which
> >    is ata0 and ata1.
>
> How would I do this with the FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE floppies?

        The ata0 and ata1 entries are a standard part of the GENERIC
   kernel that you will boot from. So, if you are installing from
   CDROM/floppy/etc., simply comment out everything except for these
   entries.

> How would I do this when I'm doing a make world to upgrade from 3.4-RELEASE
> to 4.0-STABLE?

        First, you need to follow the instructons in /etc/src/UPDATING
   to go from 3.x to 4.0. One think that I _strongly_ advise you do is
   _leave the wd entries in your configuration file, /dev and /etc/fstab_.
   DO NOT delete them until you are sure everything is working with the
   ad entries! You can recover with the fixit disks, but it is a pain!

        Note that the 4.0 config will tell you to use the ata devices.
    Leave your wd devices present for the moment, and make sure you can
    boot the 4.0 kernel before you add in ata0 and ata1. These entries
    are clearly marked in the /sys/i386/conf/LINT file as the "legacy"
    ata entries, and have IRQ 14 and 15 assigned to them. Rebuild and
    install your kernel, _copy_ and change your /etc/fstab file, and
    then run MAKEDEV to create the ad* entries. Remember to run MAKEDEV
    ads1a to get the a-g partitions created.

        If you have any trouble, boot your "old" kernel, swap your
    /etc/fstab file, and figure what went wrong, generally be comapring
    your wd* entries to the ad* entries in /dev/.

                                                        Bruce

> Recently we've found several people who can't install 4.0-R because
> they have wd drives.  Is creating a wd-capable set of boot floppies an
> option?  Or how should they be installing?
> --
> Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
> FreshPorts - http://freshports.org/ - the place for ports

Bhishan Hemrajani / bhishan@fusion.unixfreak.org / PGP: 0xFAC75561
Finger bhishan@fusion.unixfreak.org for more information.

Computers come in two styles: prototype and obsolete!