Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:26:30 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't start rshd

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 01:17, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Daniela <dgw@liwest.at> writes:

> > > You're not starting it with a socket, like it expects.
> > > Normally, rshd(8) is started from inetd.conf(5).
> >
> > But I tried starting it from inetd. When I did a `ps ax` after reboot, it
> > wasn't there.
>
> You mean inetd wasn't there?
> You wouldn't expect rshd to be there;
> that's the whole point of inetd...

Ah yes, I should have known it, I already have 14 server ports open :-)
But it didn't work until I also enabled rlogind. It doesn't say that it needs
rlogind, and if I hadn't looked with a packet sniffer I would have never
known. The manpage doesn't say that rshd needs to be started from inetd
either. That's rather poor documentation. Perhaps I should file a PR.

Daniela