Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 13:34:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian <brian@imi-bottling.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can you Install the commercial "Ports" collection after you've installed FreeBSD?

On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 05:24:15PM -0800, Brian wrote:
> Forgive me if I've already posted this message...  Just ignore it if I
> have.. :)
>
> Basically I have the Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.2.5 collection on CD-ROM (the 4
> Disc set).  Going through the NOVICE installation, I chose NOT to install
> the port collection (I thought it would eat up all the room on the 600 meg
> partition that FreeBSD has).  After asking about Netscape and AfterStep, I
> see I really needed to install that port collection.  How do I go about
> installing the port collection without having to re-install everything?

>From "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition:

The  file  ports/ports.tgz  on the first CD-ROM is a tar archive containing all
the ports.  To install them all (about 40 MB), make sure your CD-ROM is mounted
(in this example on /cdrom), and do this:

# cd /usr
# tar xzvf /cdrom/ports/ports.tgz

If you only want to extract a single package, say inn, which is in the category
news, enter:

# cd /usr
# tar xzvf /cdrom/ports/ports.tgz  ports/news/inn

Installing ports from the ports CD-ROM

Alternatively, you can install the  files  from  the  ports  CD-ROM,  currently
labelled  ``Docs  and  Extra Utilities''.  This is not much of an advantage for
installation, but you may find it convenient to browse through the source trees
in  the directory ports on the CD-ROM.  Let's assume you have found a directory
/ports/graphics/hpscan on the CD-ROM, and it is your current working directory.
You can move the data across with the following:

# cd /cdrom/ports/graphics
# mkdir -p /usr/ports/graphics
# tar cf - . | (cd /usr/ports/graphics; tar xvf -)

> And how much does that port collection take up on the hard drive when it's
> all installed?

Just the ports (i.e. the instructions to build the ports) takes about
40 MB.  I don't think anybody has ever built them all, but I'd guess
in the range of 3 to 4 GB.  You don't really want to do this.

Greg