Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 13:21:18 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Heinrich Langos <heinrich@zaphod.wh9.tu-dresden.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: renaming of usernames and homedirectories

Heinrich Langos said:
>Hi
>
>first of all i have to admit that i'm a linux user so some of the concepts
>of freebsd look a little strange to me. now i'm stuck with a system that i
>have to maintain as long as the owner is ill.
>
>1)
>how do I rename a user in FreeBSD 2.2.5 on linux i just go and change his
>name in /etc/passwd and maybe even in /etc/shadowpasswd and thats it.
>
>but in Freebsd the name is also saved in that non-human-readable database
>files. :-(
>is there any use in that except for security by obscurity? (which history
>has shown doesn't work anyway) and how do i get around it ?

The non-human-readable database isn't really a security feature, other than
only being readable by root.  It's to speed up access to the db.  Security
is provided by the whole password-shadowing mechanism.

I believe that vipw locks the database files while you are editing, to
prevent anyone else from making inconsistent updates.  On a single user
machine that will probably never happen, but it doesn't hurt to get into
good habits.  Anyhow, 'vipw' is less to type.....

	Scott