Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:42:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:07:42PM -0400, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
>> Hmm I don't have any NetBSD machines running the later 1.5 revisions
>> yet, so I've not seen the new scripts,
>
>lynx ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/src/etc/rc.d/

Thanks, I was gonna go find those after I finished what I was doing, but
you've saved me a few keystrokes.  =)

I like the concept of them quite a bit.  I think it definitely shows
some thought on how to keep the advantages of each system.  I would
support a move toward a system like this.  One thing that would be nice
is a database somewhere of which of services from /etc/rc.d are running.
This would enable one to build a nice GUI or curses based tool for
showing the services running, and allowing for the stopping, starting,
and restarting of those services.  Basically just add a feature such
that after a service is started, the pid is written to a universally
standard directory for all rc controlled services.  That would be
sufficient.  It would then be nice to write such a tool, manipulatable
either via command line options or an interactive curses mode, which
would manage those services.  Sort of the equivalent of SysV's chkconfig
command, but actually useful.  =)  So that one could say:
rccntl amd restart
or just run rccntrl and get a curses window displaying the services in
/etc/rc.d currently started and possibly another window showing those
not started, and the option to move a service from one list to the
other, thereby starting to stopping it, as well the option to just
restart it.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a