Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:48:06 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ! Fatal trap 12: System Crash twice in last 2 days

From: "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>

> Have you, by any chance, checked this out?

> It says it's fixed in revision 1.51.2.18 of uipc_mbuf.c. You can quickly
> check that with:
>
> grep FreeBSD /usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c

Yes.  Someone else pointed this out to me earlier.

$ grep FreeBSD /usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c
 * $FreeBSD: src/sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c,v 1.51.2.13 2002/05/06 20:07:13
silby Exp $
$

I have two questions resulting from this:

1) Since I have updated very recently, why do I still have the 1.51.2.13
version?  I must assume that the .18 version has been committed somewhere
else (NOT RELENG_4_6).  And that begs the question - why not?  My
understanding, which may well be wrong, is that the RELENG_4_6 branch is
not updated with new features all the time, but it does receive security
patches and critical patches affecting stability.  Given that this box has
now crashed 6 times in the last 72 hours I would consider that rather
unstable.

2) Is there a safe way for me to apply this patch without risk of breaking
something else.  Please understand that I am not a hacker.  The extent of
my expertise ends with running cvsup and making the world.

So - I could be chasing a problem that has been fixed.  Or not.  For the
moment I am inclined to give this a little more time.  If it turns out
that we find a fresh bug, then perhaps my pain is to the benefit of other
folks.  But if we determine that the above patch is indeed the fix I need,
then I simply need advice from you folks out there with more experience as
to how best to go about getting that .18 or later version onto my system
without deviating too far from the standard cvsup and make world
procedures, if that is possible.

Comments Greg?

PS: my box has now been running 8 hours without problems since I rebuilt
it with debugging enabled - I'm still watching and the kettle still ain't
boiling! :/

---
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.