Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:02:42 -0700
From:      gjukema@silk.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 CD installation hangs

Hello,

I've been attempting an installation from the 3.1 CD (which I have
successfully accomplished a number of times), but am failing on this one
box.  Its a DataTrain P120 with the Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, also, Plug
and Play BIOS extension v1.0A.  The machine has 8MB Ram.

I've used the same ATAPI CD-ROM drive on all other installations without a
problem.  On this machine, FreeBSD boots fine from the CD.

Heres where the error occurs....
After partitioning the drive, the installation begins.  Where it hangs is
just as its copying bin files to the drive.  Sometimes none of the files
are written, and the most I've seen is 3. (as far as bin/cat I believe).
When installing with DEBUG mode switched on, in VT2 I see it writing
various a few files, /etc/fstab, does some more stuff, no error messages
appear.  Like I say, once it starts to read the bin files, it hangs.
CTRL-C doesn't respond either.  I do have the ability to jump from VT1, 2,
and 4.

I've physically removed the network card from the machine, and in visual
mode, all the scsi references, network card references and unnecessary
conflics are removed.  The probing is flawless.

Anyone have an idea.  I've been searching the archive for a couple of days
now, tried a few ideas that appeared similar, without any luck.

Thanks for any response,
Geoff Jukema