Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:04:35 -0800
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        Jeremy Chatfield <jdc@xig.com>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: de0 timeout

At 06:08 PM 2/27/97 -0700, Jeremy Chatfield wrote:
>FWIW, we've tried both the SMC and Linksys boards with this DEC chip.
>The SMC boards worked, the Linksys failed.  We exchanged the Linksys
>EtherFast 100/10 for SMC EtherPower 100/10 (+$50) and things were just
>fine.  We used two Linksys EtherFast boards, different batches from the
>same store and they consistently failed in the same way.  The Linksys 10
>Mbit/s with RJ-45 and 10Base2 was just fine though.  The symptoms of our
>failure were complete.  No traffic in or out at 10Mb/s, tested with link
>flags in all combinations, complete with power-down reboots between
>tests, showed no change in behavior.  This was, BTW, true for Linux
>2.0.27 kernels, too.  Curiously the DEC interrupt test that shipped with
>the DOS based diagnostics, claimed to be unable to find the DEC chip on
>our (multiple) test systems.  We *really* tried to make this work ;-)
>
>I was under the impression that a Tulip by any other name, worked just
>fine.  In practical experience, there seems something different about
>some boards.  The SMC boards consistently work for us.  The Linksys
>10Mb/s only (RJ45, 10Base2 or AUI) boards consistently work for us.

Unfortunately, that isn't true for the 21140 (or later) chips.
Which is why I'm rewriting the de driver.  The information to
run the cards is in a serial EEPROM and my rewrite involves
decoding that ROM and using the information to configure the
card.  However, it doesn't quite work right yet.

Right now I only have limited number of cards that the support
the SROM information and that makes testing problematical.
(hint hint).
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message