Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:53:51 -0700
From:      "Michael Wells" <michael-wells@swampwolf.com>
To:        "Nathan Kinkade" <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kern.flp

> > > Does your BIOS allow you to choose what you'll boot from?  What does
> > > it say?
> >
> > Yeah I have it set to boot from floppy first.  I also tried setting
> > boot from floopy only.
> > Currently the machine loaded with Linux and I can not even mount the
> > drive. Being that it's all new in that area, I am confused.
>
> Is the BIOS even detecting your floppy drive?  Is the "Boot Floppy Seek"
> ,or some similar option, in BIOS enabled?...just to make sure the BIOS
> sees the drive.  Just to be sure that I'm understanding you correctly,
> are you saying that the same boot floppies work fine on other machines?

The BIOS auto detects the drives on boot.  The "Boot Floppy Seek" is in fact
enabled.  Something else seems to be at play here.  I can not seem to boot
off the
cdrom either.  I have RedHat 7.2 installed now.  It is using the GRUB loader
and I am wondering if this is causing problems?  I want to remove the RH
installation
completely.  It is almost as if my devices are useless until RH loads.  This
doesn't seem
to make sense but I can't explain otherwise.  Yes the floppies work with no
issue on my
other machine...  I am lost on this.