Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 00:18:09 -0800
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wrong config for kernel

At 12:37 AM 2/11/99 +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>charon@freethought.org wrote:
>
>> I just did a CTM update and a make world in my first ever attempt to
>> upgrade a system, and it appeared to work fine.  However, when I try config
>> on a new kernel, it says i'm using the wrong version of config.  I looked
>> through the archives, and saw this problem mentioned, but I can't get much
>> from it.  It's mentioned (as in the error message) that installing a new
>> config binary will solve this, but I don't know how.  It was also mentioned
>> that it was due to not keeping the tools and the kernel source in sync -
>> what does this mean?  Thanks,
>
>try,
>
># cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
># make all install clean
>
>and then run config on your kernel configuration file again

Okay... this doesn't change anything.  (First off, I don't have a directory
called /usr/src/usr.sbin/config, but I assume you mean wherever I have the
source code - in my case, /usr/src/3.0-STABLE/usr.sbin/config.)

The error message when I type "/usr/sbin/config [kernel]" says, "WARNING:
version of config(8) does not match kernel!  Config version = 300009,
version required = 300007".  I'm guessing this means that perhaps config is
okay, but the kernel version is too old?  Does this make sense?  How would
I fix this?  Thanks,

            Charon@freethought.org
     http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

"Don't you try to outweird me, I get stranger things
     than you free with my breakfast cereal."