Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:14:17 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Subject:   Re: [review request] zfsboot/zfsloader: support accessing filesystems within a pool

on 23/04/2012 09:23 Andrey V. Elsukov said the following:
> On 23.04.2012 1:21, Marius Strobl wrote:
>> I can't say much about these patches as a whole as they are rather big
>> and I'm not aware of all the details of ZFS. However, one bit that makes
>> the current implementation x86-specific is zfs_dev_init(). If you could
>> move it to the MD part in the course of these patches that would be
>> great. If you could also take the second patch in PR 165025 into account,
>> which I plan to commit once the issue with the current ofw_disk.c are
>> properly solved, that would be great.
>
> I also have some WIP related to moving partition table handling into MD
> part. You can look here: http://people.freebsd.org/~ae/sys_boot.diff

I like this patch.  OTOH, I couldn't help by wonder if it is possible to
somehow directly re-use the results of dv_init probing by other drivers (or
subset of the drivers, like only 'disk').  E.g. if instead of re-examining the
partition tables, we could ask a driver for a list of devices that it discovered.
But how to do that is not something that I can answer.

--
Andriy Gapon