Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 09:55:29 +0100
From:      daniel lawrence <danny@AlphaZed.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fstat dying on signal 10

I am using fstat(1) in an Apache log rotation script run via cron. The
idea is that the script signals Apache to close and re-open its log
files, then it loops on fstat until no process has the logs open. Then
the logs are analyzed and compressed.

The problem is that fstat randomly dies on signal 10. It is fairly
frequent, but I cannot repeat it from the command line and I can't find
a core file.

The relevant part of the script looks like this:

while [ `fstat $file_list|wc -l` -gt 1 ]; do
     sleep 1
done

This happens on Apache versions 1.2.4 and 1.2.6 on 2.2.1-RELEASE and the
latest 2.2.6-STABLE.

--
daniel lawrence               AlphaZed, Ltd
mailto:danny@AlphaZed.COM     http://uk.AlphaZed.COM