Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:13:45 -0700
From:      Prafulla Deuskar <pdeuskar@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jacob S. Barrett" <jbarrett@amduat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em0: watchdog timeout -- resetting

> Prafulla Deuskar wrote:
> > The driver version in 4.7-RELEASE was 1.3.14.
> > To check if it is a driver issue can we go back to old driver?
>
> That worked.  I don't see the messages anymore.  Machine performance is
> back to normal.
>
> So do you know what may have changed between 4.7/1.3.14 and it looks
> like 1.4.10 for 4.8?  There are some changes that were commited around
> VLAN priority tag masking that I will need to apply to this version to
> go forward with it.  Is there anything else that I should be aware of
> that changed between versions?

I broke support for 82542 based adapters *only* in 1.4.7/10 driver when I started to use
RS for writebacks on descriptors unconditionally. (Report Status -- when data is dma'ed on chip)
Easy fix in 1.4.10 driver is to change value for EM_REPORT_TX_EARLY in if_em.h as follows:

#define EM_REPORT_TX_EARLY 1

This problem is not present in the latest driver in -stable. (1.5.31)

Thanks,
Prafulla