Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:47:47 +0200
From:      Tobias Kirschstein <lev@nupfel.de>
To:        Roger Olofsson <raggen@passagen.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: simple network traffic query tool

--7gGkHNMELEOhSGF6

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:20:35 +0200
Roger Olofsson <raggen@passagen.se> wrote:

>=20
> Tobias Kirschstein skrev:
> > hi,
> >=20
> > i'm looking for a small tool to query the current network traffic
> > (kb IN and OUT) per interface. is there any sysctl or tool which
> > gives me a similar output to "systat -ifstat":
> >=20
> >                     /0   /1   /2   /3   /4   /5   /6   /7   /8   /9   /=
10
> >      Load Average
> >       Interface           Traffic               Peak
> > Total lo0  in      0.000 KB/s          0.000 KB/s          226.079
> > KB out     0.000 KB/s          0.000 KB/s          226.079 KB
> >=20
> >            wpi0  in      0.000 KB/s          0.000 KB/s
> > 164.577 MB out     0.000 KB/s          0.000 KB/s            6.205
> > MB
> >=20
> > the background:
> > unfortunately the network monitor build into superkaramba does not
> > work for freebsd, os i want to write a widget which uses sysctl or
> > any other tool if available got get this information. systat is not
> > appropriate to be used because it does not terminate on its own as
> > i see.
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> If you want something more of a web service you could install SNMP
> from ports and use Cacti (also from ports). See http://www.cacti.net/
> for a quick glance at what you'll get.

thanks to all for your suggestions. i looked into the tools but
unfortunately none was simple enough so that its output could be easily
parsed and used as a superkaramba sensor. finally i came across
"ifstat" (also from ports) which seems to be what i was looking for,
but nevertheless thanks for your help :)

--=20
ciao,
lev

--7gGkHNMELEOhSGF6