Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2010 17:45:58 -0700
From:      "Godthoughts Wired" <brad@godthoughts.org>
To:        "freebsd-ports" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Meet Phil the Pharisee

GodThoughtsWired!            Wednesday, November 3, 2010
An Inspiration for Today...A Resource for a Lifetime!

meet phil the pharisee

"To the weak I became weak,=20
that I might win the weak;=20
I have become all things to all men,=20
so that I may by all means save some."
1 Corinthians 9:22

Yesterday's GT was entitled, I'm a Giants Fan...But a Jesus Fanatic!  =
The point of the message was that, while I enjoy baseball, "on a scale=
 of 1-10, in terms of what's truly important in my life, the Giants an=
d the World Series aren't even on the scale" (see GTWired!, November 2=
, 2010).

And, as I'm apt to do, I provided a visual illustration from the pulpi=
t to contrast that which ultimately means nothing (the Giants winning =
the World Series), and that which means everything (my relationship wi=
th Jesus).

Like the Apostle Paul before me (Olympic games, boxing, running, see a=
bove context 1 Corinthians 9:22-27; see also, 2 Timothy 2:5), I've fou=
nd sports llustrations to be powerful teaching tools.  Having said tha=
t, I'm sad to report that phariseeism* is still alive and well in the =
body of Christ.=20

Please note the following response from one of our GT subscribers:

"You made a poor choice to showboat in the pulpit. On the face of it, =
the ministry to which you are called would seem to preclude this...gue=
ss not...Your obvious affection for the Giants should not have intrude=
d in the pulpit ...Holding on to the world with one hand
and on to the things of God with the other
 is tough. My prayers are with you=20
as you agonize over these choices."
-Phil the Pharisee*=20
(name changed to protect the guilty)=20
Very sadly, I'm reminded of Matthew 11:19,
"The Son of Man came eating and drinking,=20
and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man=20
and a drunkard, a friend=20
of tax collectors and sinners!'=20
Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."
"Wisdom is vindicated by her deeds." =20

Indeed!

FOR FURTHER STUDY:
*Pharisee:  "religious," "judgemental," "hypocritical."
  Phariseeism:  see Matthew 23:1-36.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE AUTHOR?  Click here.
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE GODTHOUGHTS MINISTRY?  Click here.

Unsubscribe