Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2017 00:32:57 +0000
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jlh@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot on ZFS -- /boot/zfsloader not found

On 11/01/2017 22:58, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> (Sorry I had to copy-paste this email from the archives to a new
> thread, because I'm not subscribed to -stable@. Would you mind cc:ing
> me next time please?)
>
>> As your not at the boot loader stage yet for keyboard enabling legacy
>> USB keyboard / mouse support in BIOS may help.
> That worked, thanks for the tip.
>

>> If you see issues with keyboard after the kernel takes over setting
>> hint.ehci.0.disabled=1 may help.
>>
>> If your installing 11.x then the guides boot partition size is out of
>> date and you should use 512K for your freebsd-boot partition.
> Oh, really?  I'll update it once I'll have figure it all out.  That's
> weird though because /boot/gptzfsboot is less than 90 KB.
11.x
du -h /boot/gptzfsboot
  97K    /boot/gptzfsboot

12.x
du -h /boot/gptzfsboot
113K    /boot/gptzfsboot

The reason I'd recommend 512k for boot is to provide room for expansion
moving forward, as repartitioning to upgrade is a scary / hard thing to
do. Remember it wasn't long ago when it was well under 64k and that's
what was recommend, its not like with disk sizes these days you'll miss
the extra 384k ;-)

>> For the GPT version (I've never used MBR one) what actual error do you get?
> When I just start up the NUC, I get:
> """
> \Can't find /boot/zfsloader
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
> \
> Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel
> """
>
> I though it was the first stage boot loader, but it may be the second stage.
Boot to a live cd, I'd recommend mfsbsd, and make sure the boot loader
was written to ALL boot disks correctly e.g.
if you have a mirrored pool with ada0 and ada1:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

If this doesn't help the output from gpart show, uname -a and zpool
status would also be helpful.

This is all assuming standard BIOS mode and not UEFI which is done
differently.