Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 01:48:57 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        Neal Nelson <neal@nelson.name>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [hackers] Writing a PCI ADSL Driver

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, David Gilbert wrote:
> Neal> Hi there.  I'm thinking of writing a device driver for a
> Neal> Traverse Pulsar PCI ADSL card and I was looking for some ideas
> Neal> before I committed myself. I've been offered hardware and
> Neal> support by the makers (http://www.traverse.com.au/) but I want
> Neal> to make sure that I can actually do the job before accepting.
>
> Neal> I was wondering what kind of device driver I would need to
> Neal> create. I use ADSL at home but I only know how to use it, I
> Neal> don't know how it really works. Would I be able to create a
> Neal> character device and just pretend it was a modem or would I need
> Neal> to create a network device so that it can talk PPPoE over it? My
> Neal> main concern is how to get ppp to talk to the device.
>
> I would expect that the most sensible "class" for the driver would be
> somewhat like an ethernet device.  Most commonly they're used with
> PPPoE or bridged ethernet.  This may irk some ... the underlying
> implementation is almost always ATM, but they try very hard to behave
> like ethernet devices.

Problem with ADSL is that there are actually too many link layer
encapsualtions in use - PPPoE, PPPoA, plain rfc1348 (if i remember
rfc number correctly) etc.

Due to above, most sensible is to take netgraph approach. Afterwards it's
easy to adapt to different encapsulations. Actually it should be possible
to autodetect all of this and connect appropriate netgraph hooks.

best regards,
taavi