Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:47:02 -0700
From:      Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10 | Continued Discussion

All,
  With the recent release of 4.11 I thought that I would give it a
spin and com pair my results with my previous testing.  I was blown
away by the performance difference between 4.11 and 5.3.  Iostat
showed a difference of over 30Mb/s difference between the two.  In
fact, it kept up or out performed fedora Core 3 with XFS in my
testing.  This seems to indicate that the 5.x branch may still needs
allot of performance work.  One of the interesting observations was
that 4.11 utilized much more of the processor than 5.3.  I hope that
the changes in 5.4 will help close this gap considerably.  Is there
any specific components of the 5.3 that have been identified to cause
this performance difference?

Your feedback/thoughts on this are appreciated!
--Nick