Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:27:35 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Michael Gray <mtg@dmi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Server

Michael Gray wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD,
>         I have been considerring building a DNS server. I have been told, this
> is a $20k endeavor and is very complicated to maintain. I noticed in my
> FreeBSD manual that you mention adding DNS services to the server
> without much fanfare.
>         What does it really take? What options are actually available and what
> type of machine requirements are there?

	Someone else already replied with the basic answer, which is that that
quote is total BS (Barbra Streisand). :) What kind of hardware you need
depends on a lot of factors. First, what kind of server do you want to
set up?  Are you planning to set up a resolving server for your
customers? If so, how many customers are on line at a time?  Do you want
to set up a nameserver for your domain(s)?  How big is the domain, and
how active is it? In either case "a" nameserver is not what you want.
It's especially important to have backups for name service to the
outside world, at least one slave server on site and preferably one at a
location on a different network. If you're talking a resolving server
for customers, you should have one main server and at least one backup.
At bare minimum you should be thinking a P166, 64M ram, and a 1 gig
drive. This'll serve well for a medium ISP as a resolver, or name
service. You can pick up a couple machines like that for well under $2k.

	If you plan to do it yourself the DNS and BIND 2nd ed. book is a
requirement. If you're interested in hiring someone to set up services
for you, mail me back privately and we can discuss terms. I can
definitely do the job for less than $20k. :)  You might also consider
mailing freebsd-jobs@freebsd.org if you'd like more options.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest