Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:50:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk> types:
[Major Snip]
> Bank: And when these user's browsers get IE-compatible, we can let them back
> in?
>
> Paul: Yes.
>
> Bank: Do all of this, otherwise we don't pay you...
>
> Paul: <shrug> OK.

And later...

Bank: Why are we being sued by The National Federation for the Blind?

Me: Because in forcing users to get IE-compatible browsers, we made
    our web site inaccessible to everyone who was blind.

AOL has already settled with the NFB out of court, and now has a
blind-accessible site. The US has ruled that the ADA applies to any
site is in any way federally funded. The question of whether or not it
applies to a commercial site like a bank is still open, and hinges on
whether or not a commercial web site is a "public place of business"
as defined by the ADA.

And yes, none of this is relevant if you aren't in the US.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.