Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:02:26 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deleting XF863 w/o package?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 05:30:27PM -0400, Tim McMillen wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Otter wrote:
> > You could always wipe
> > out your /dev directory for a little excitement!
> > -Otter

I'm dumb, not stupid.  :)

> Yeah, if one port want to write over another it pretty much just does.
> The new port works well and the old one, I personally don't know here what
> happens to it and would be interested to know.

If you have multiple packages that want to put the a binary of the
same name in the same place, the last one in will overwrite it.
You'll have one complete package, and part of another package.  Quite
a recipe for pain.

You did the right thing; pkg_delete them all, and pkg_add what you
want.

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org