Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:39:31 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupdate xorg-server

RW wrote:

> IMO this doesn't make any sense. If portupgrade is failing on a port
> where manual "make install" works, then portupgrade simply has a bug.
> Any port upgrading tool belongs in a port, because it's more important
> that it responds to changes in the ports system than changes in the
> base system.
>
> As to upgrading piecemeal rather than with -a, I don't see how that
> helps, and it may actually make things worse by not building in
> dependency order.

As to the first part of your msg, what you said doesn't make any sense
to me either.  Never did I claim portupgrade fails where a normal make
install would succeed.  I would appreciate it if you could take my
example as I state it instead adding stuff to make it sound
implausible.  Thanks.  When you're doing a massive update, and you run
into to depedancy issues, you'll know what I'm talking.  Also after you
get some experience in ports, you'll be able to understand that you
can't depend on it compiling all the time.  Want an example?  Try
compiling misc/wanpipe w/ misc/zaptel right now and tell me how far you
get.  Doing a portupgrade -a on system w/ 1000+ packages installed and
there's a pretty good chance you'll run into more than one issue with
something like that or it's lesser cousin.

Upgrading in smaller chunks is easier.  It's actually a fairly common
principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_conquer_algorithm

One practical example is xorg 1.4 --> 1.5 a lot of us had issues with a
couple months ago or whenever it was.  Many users wrote in after doing
something like a portupgrade -a and blaming their display problem from
xorg on whatever WM they happened to be using.  Had they done it in
smaller segments, they would easily be able to identify source.  And no,
it doesn't bring you into dependency hell, it brings you out of it
easier.   Hope that clears up the confusion for you.