Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:26:58 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marvell chipsets on 8-CURRENT and XP x64 won't talk with one another

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>>> Just to clarify, how are the two hooked together?  Is it over
>>> gigabit switch, a 10mbps hub, or directly cabled together?
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>
>>   Sure. They're both connected over a gigabit switch, but the Windows
>> driver's kind of sketchy because it keeps on switching between
>> 100MBit and 1GBit. I haven't really paid that much attention to what
>> speed the FreeBSD msk driver is registering at.
>> -Garrett
>
> Ah ha!
>
> I had the flopping between 100mbps and 1gbps problem with some Intel
> cards once - some of the machines in the lab were fine, others kept
> switching back and forth.  We eventually narrowed it down to the
> cables we had hand-made; some of them just weren't up to snuff, and
> the NIC apparently decided that it had to go back down to 100.
>
> I think you should switch your gigabit switch out for a 100mbps switch
> and see if the network becomes more reliable.
>
> -Mike

    I think I've discovered what the issue is. I believe the problem
lies in the fact that the FreeBSD Marvell chipset driver (msk) isn't up
to speed with the Gigabit transferring on my particular chipset(s).
That's why transfers were most likely working with my laptop (Apple with
100MBit Broadcom) vs my desktop (Asus MB with another Marvell chipset
driver) and another laptop (Dell laptop with Broadcom Gigabit).
    How do I tell ifconfig via rc.conf to downgrade the max speed to
100MBit duplex?
Thanks,
-Garrett