Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:08:04 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From:      "Hakim Z. Singhji" <hakim.singhji@earthlink.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP and rc Questions For FreeBSD 4.10???

Bill & FreeBSD-Questions,

This configuration is not as intuitive as I thought it would be.
In /etc/rc.conf I added the following strings:

############################
network_interfaces="lo0 dc0"
ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
############################

"Then I deleted the entries in dhclient.conf and relied on the
default. I started the daemon by [dhclient dc0] and it
seemed to be processing.  However, that was all that
happened. When I [ifconfig dc0] I get this return:"

#############################
root@redgate% ifconfig dc0
dc0 flags = 8843<UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, SIMPLEX,
MULTICAST> MTU 1500
inet6 fe:80::2c0:f0ff:fe79:4ab7%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 0.0.0.0 net mask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
ether 00:01:02:c3:40:1a
media Ethernet auto select (100base<full duplex>)
status: active
###############################

"Then I tried to ping a host..."

###############################

root@redgate% ping www.yahoo.com
root@redgate% ping 24.199.105.1
root@redgate% ping www.absolutebsd.org

Ping: Cannot resolve www.yahoo.com
hostname lookup failure, etc.
###############################

"However somehow when I run a report the system
indicates that UDP packets are being transmitted but the
statistics are highly skewed at a rate of
11290 IKPTS : 38 OPKTS"

I was reading Greg Lehey's book "The Complete
FreeBSD" which happens to have more information on
DHCP,DNS, BIND than "Absolute BSD" by Michael Lucas and
Greg says that in order for dhcp to work you must start dhcpd,
am I reading this correctly. I assumed that dhcpd would provide
DHCP for the private network (in my case), I did not think that
my default gateway would rely on dhcpd in order to function.

Now I have 2 questions:
*must I configure dhcpd now?
*must I configure dns (resolv.conf, named, etc.)?
*does DHCP rely on the two configurations list above to data?

Thank you in advance for your help?

HZS