Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:40:54 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Wayne Willcox <wayne@reliant.pmr.com>
Cc:        "Thomas G. Cleghorn" <tommygun@uunet.co.za>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

You guys are all missing the point of Thomas' mail here!

He knows how to do it, and eventually found out on his own; his point
is that it was a _helluva_ lot less obvious than it should have been.
The question at the end, is (paraphrased) "Where is the documentation
for us newbies whe dont know that the CDROM is /dev/wcd0c??".

> It is easy, here it is for a scsi drive.  You will have to use
> your own device name though.
>
> /dev/cd0a               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 04:20:01PM +0200, Thomas G. Cleghorn wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >         Im a relative newbie. I installed BSD 3.2 with no problems from
> > the 4 volume CD set. I then decided Id like to look through the CD myself
> > and try to mount it, how......
> > I found the syntax (man mount etc)and wanted to mount it on /cdrom but was
> > unsure of 'special'. Anyway, grep`d FAQs and Handbook in vain for any
> > answers. In the end I ran /stand/sysinstall, changed to a different
> > console did a df and found what I was looking for /dev/wcd0c (I think).
> > wcd0c does not appear in my dmesg, where was I meant to find the info?
> > For a newbie should not getting a cd to work be relatively easy or at
> > least documented in the handbook or FAQs?
> >
> > Thomas Cleghorn<---Not too pathetic sounding I hope.

> --
> Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
> Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
> wayne@reliant.pmr.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
> A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
>                 -- Chinese proverb

Mark Murray