Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 15:08:39 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: laser printer - which one?

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:55:40PM +0200, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> might be a bit off here, but I'm sure some of you have experiences with
> laser printers. I would like to buy a (relatively) cheap laser printer
> with the following requirements:
>
> - quality (I mean here, that I want to use it for a long time, thus it
> should be of good quality and be robust)
> - has such a toner, *that can be refilled cheaply*
> - prints in good quality, speed and noise is not that important
> - should work under FreeBSD / Linux, not just under Windows

About 14 months ago and 10,000 pages I bought a Brother HL-5250DN at
Staples for $250. That seems to still be the going price. Have no
regrets. Prints both sides, ethernet and USB interfaces, rated 30 ppm
and prints faster than any printer we have at work. Postscript-3 clone
and PCL-6.

Works perfectly from MacOS and FreeBSD, altho I almost never use it from
FreeBSD and can't really say I've given it a FreeBSD workout.

As an early adopter it took a while for aftermarket refills to hit the
market but the rated 7,000 page refill is under $20. Only difference I
have noticed is the smell, and its only different, not better, not
worse.

Am a little concerned about the cost of replacing the drum, rated for
25,000 pages. Going rates for Bother toner + Brother drum is almost the
same as a new HL-5250DN printer. With any luck the resurfaced drum
companies will be ramped up by the time I need one.

No point in running an envelope thru this printer, it wrinkles.

Shortly after making my purchase some were running a special including
an optional paper tray which would hold a full ream. The special bundled
all that at the same $250 I paid. Have not seen that extra tray offered
since.

> As for the price, I'm thinking of 100 000 HUF (about 400 EUR) as
> *very* maximum. The price is important, but the first point is more
> important at all...I color laser printer would be cool if this amount
> of money is sufficient for this, but a BW one is ok, too.

If you are concerned about refill prices then I would expect color would
be out of the question as operating costs are higher even when printing
B&W.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net