Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:05:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        yahya wafula <yawafula@hotmail.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RedHat Linux or FreeBSD

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2007-11-11 23:09, yahya wafula <yawafula@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> To whoever it may concern, sometime ago i posted a question asking for
>> some assistance on how to install and operate FreeBSD, unfortunately,
>> i still got stranded.
>
> I don't remember the particular question, so it may be worth asking it
> again, by a posting to our technical questions' mailing list:
>
>        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
>> right now an idea has come to my mind and i've been thinking of
>> enrolling for an RHCT & RHCE with a hope that i may gain substantial
>> knowledge to help me not only manage RedHat Linux but also FreeBSD
>> incase both have common performance.
>
> Redhat GNU/Linux is a UNIX-like system too, so there are definitely good
> things to gain from that system.  As UNIX-like systems, FreeBSD and
> the Redhat GNU/Linux distributions share a lot of common 'design'
> attributes, and many features are implemented in very similar ways.
>
> My own recommendation would be to try *both* systems.  My own personal
> preference is greatly in support of FreeBSD, but that is just that: a
> personal preference for the way the FreeBSD releases work, the way the
> FreeBSD team operates, and the way the overall 'FreeBSD experience'
> tends to match my style of work.
>
>> well, am i on the right path? are there any similarities between RHCT/
>> RHCE and FreeBSD.  thanks alot with regards.  YAHYA WAFULA OJWANG.
>> CAIRO. EGYPT
>
> There are both similarities and differences.  It's not easy to guess
> what *you* would prefer, in advance.  Hence my suggestion to try both
> systems and see for yourself :-)

I can only back the things Giorgos states. Both operatings systems are
worth to try. Technically, both have advantages und disadvantages.

To my mind, personal preferences are important when deciding for an
operating system. Thus, I'd never blame anyone for using Linux or Windows
or whatever else.

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de