Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 19:25:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ray Black <allah@mercury.webserve.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hardware Support

I've got one of the dread Compaq Prosignia VS servers with the unsupported
NCR 53c710 Fast-SCSI-2 controller integrated with the EISA bus. Why
is this board not supported? I mean, it's not as though it were an
extremely rare computer, so what are the hardware problems that cause no
one in the BSD (or even the Linux) community to support it? I'm far from a
great programmer, but if someone would point me to info on how to write
device drivers, I'd do what I could to make that sucker work.

Also, on a silimar note, it would seem like something that could be ported
over from SCO fairly easily (and I'm no trademark or copyright lawyer, so
I don't know the ramifications of that), yet it's not been done. What
would be the limitations of that move, beyond the legal ones? And (just so
you know i am a REAL newbie) what are the significant differences between
SCO and BSD? I've got access to SCO, but would really rather load an OS
that has some support in the internet community so that I could swap code
with folks. Could something I write for a SCO box be run on a BSD machine,
and/or vise versa?

Anyway, thanks for the ear, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Ray Black, III