Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2006 15:28:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barkley Vowk <bvowk@math.ualberta.ca>
To:        Frank Steinborn <steinex@nognu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting GELI Keys from Floppy

You are a complete madman. You want to protect your data with a key stored
on the most completely and utterly unreliable form of data storage still
lamentably in use? Its not the 1970's anymore, get a real data storage
medium!

Get a usb flash drive, from there its a simple matter of changing the geli
script to mount a specific usb device before starting. Look in
/etc/rc.d/geli and geli2. I'd put your mounting and checks between the
kldstat and the "if [ -z" in the geli_start() sub.

You'll want to then use "geli -K" to input your key material, so you'll
want to make sure your device is present, and that it has the expected key
filename on it. You could also use dd and dump the first n sectors to
stdout and pipe that into your geli command.

Seems like quite a waste if you don't intend to use a passphrase.