Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:34:39 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        James <higginsj@iname.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

James wrote:

> I recently started a new semester as a senior in a computer science
> cirricula.  I am taking "Intro to Data Communications"  which is  a
> 4400 level course at my school and populated with students most would
> assume to be reasonably knowledgeable although a bit green around the
> edges.
>
> As soon as it was announced that UNIX is the preferred platform for
> assignments a student announced,  "Why can't we use NT?!?!".  He also
> seemed upset that he would *GASP* have to edit text files for system
> configuration.

Sounds like a good school to me ;-)

An opportunity for you to do a bit of advocacy here methinks.

Point out that having all the sys config stuff in text files means
that if you cock it up and the system won't boot you can ``boot -s''
and fix it.

If they reckon NT can repair a stuffed config then tell them to try
disabling ATAPI.SYS on an all-IDE machine, then trying to get it to
boot (it'll BSoD with "inaccessible boot device"), even the Repair
option from the 3 floppy boot can't fix it....time to re-install (and
if you're wondering, yes it happened to me).

> Not to mention that in the sophomore "File Processing" course all students
> seem to gripe after being drug away from learning C/C++ in Windows to

Err, is this not a contradiction it terms?

> writing for a UNIX machine.

Well, they'll be able to call themselves programmers then, won't they,
not just drag 'n' drop GUI builders.