Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:53:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>
To:        os2_daemon@altavista.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD security on TCP/IP question.

On 12-Nov-99 os2_daemon@altavista.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just ran into trouble for mucking around with ifconfig and conflicting
> IP addresses. I'm just an ordinary user without any deep TCP/IP knowledge.

ah... mucking about.
            ...  and not even your network.

> It all started when curiously, I tried to put 172.16.1.1 which is an NT
> server into ifconfig. Ifconfig said some error messages that the IP address
> have been taken by another machine. Who cares ...

just the rest of the 172.16 network.

> Next day, the sysadmin came to me and accusing me for trying to hijack the
> system. He told me that apparently I crashed his NT by doing so. This brought
> me a very big question. Was he just bluffing, or the NT seriously cannot
> defend against this ?

I've never seen NT fall-over from this; it's lame, but not that fscking lame.
usually it stopps accepting or sending packets for various intervals and give a
whinging dialog.

http://oac3.hsc.uth.tmc.edu/staff/snewton/tcp-tutorial/

> I've heard of something called "IP spoofing", is this one of them ?

different kind of spoof.

> I also wonder what will happen to a FreeBSD box if some other computer claim
> the same IP address.

pretty much the same, stop accepting or transmitting packets, and complain
loudly.

--
Don (unplug 'em) Read                              dread@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                            dread@texas.net