Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:30:30 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        jhall@socket.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultrium 920 Autoloader Question

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 07:11:18PM -0500, jhall@socket.net wrote:

> If this is a double post, please excuse me.  I just realized I sent my
> initial question to the wrong address.
>
> Today, I received my Ultrium 1/8 920 autoloader.  I just realized the tape
> drive can be assigned an IP address so it can be backed up to over the
> network.  And, I would like to explore this before taking the time to
> install the SCSI card.
>
> Is this something I can do from the command line with FreeBSD, or am I
> better off using software such as AMANDA or Bacula?

Depends a little on what sort of software is on the tape drive.
But, probably you can either use dump(8)/restore(8) or tar with
no problem.   They can dump/restore to/from remote devices/files.

I have done it on some systems, though it has been a while since
the last time because my hardware has changed.

Dump/restore can be rather sensitive to version and host OS.

////jerry