Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:54:29 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Rob <europax@home.com>, "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than play

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:53:30AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>=20
> On 12-Mar-01 Rob wrote:
> >  The computer has just sat unused for weeks.
> > =20
> >  Did I screw up?  Are children so used to being spoon-fed information
> >  that they no longer have
> >  the interest in independent investigation?  This is a bright kid who
> >  claimed to have an=20
> >  interest in computers. =20
> > =20
> >  Oh, well thanks for listening to my rant.  Maybe it will just take some
> >  time.    Rob.
>=20
> You could just install Python for Windows and see if he plays with that, =
but I don't
> think you can force someone to program :)

Well, I got started programming *really* young, but I'm told I got
started because I was intrigued by what my dad was doing with the
computer, and wanted to learn how.  Naturally, it wasn't long before I
was better at it than he was, but by that point I was hooked for life
:-)

The competitive instinct is pretty strong in most children: start
tinkering with it yourself and try and show him what you're doing, and
you might find that he's tempted to outdo his old man :-)

Kris

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--