Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 07:46:09 +0200
From:      Jacques Hugo <jacques@ctech.ac.za>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Maybe it's just me.

Hi ...

Simple question.

I love the way in which FreeBSD handles its ports.
I usually go into the distfiles directory, download
source, compile and install it.  Very simple.  No
rpms, just compile it.  But why does it sometimes
break?

For instance ... I download InterViews 3.1, get the
patches, and on a xmkmf -a I get

-----------------
mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
make Makefiles
"Makefile", line 624: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 625: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 626: Missing dependency operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1
---------------

What is this?  According to the ports collection,
you require no other packages, just some patches
and it "should" compile the first time.

Should I become a guru in Makefiles, or am I screwing
up here.  I prefer compiling source myself, if I wanted
to install packages, I would run a Linux box.

Any pointers will help.

Cheers
-Jacques

The box said "Requires Windows 3.1 or better"
			... so I got BSD

Network Administrator     | Jacques Hugo
UNIX Systems              | jacques@ctech.ac.za
Cape Technikon            | +27-21-4603584