Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 23:02:23 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching DNS server (was DNS resolving by internal network)

John Murphy wrote:

> Sounds easy enough.  Unfortunately...
> named complained couldn't find localhost.rev so I ran #sh make-localhost
> which made localhost.rev
>
> There was a remark in named.conf to put 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf
> so I put nameserver 127.0.0.1 at the top.  But I still got loads of
> natd errors.

If you *just* want a caching nameserver, delete the "zone" blocks in
named.conf except for the zone block for the DNS root ('zone "."' or
some such).  Then it should stop complaining about localhost.rev at
least.

> The problem is that whenever I reboot or start the machine it dials
> my ISP!

I think that's because named tries to contact the root servers at boot
time.  One solution is not to reboot, another solution might be to not
use auto-dialling, at least for the first few minutes after rebooting;
after the first few minutes named should have given up trying to contact
the root servers.

Another possibility is that some program is making a DNS query.

> I even tried creating /etc/namedb/s and chowned it as mentioned in
> named.conf.  I'm not even sure that it's caching.  There's nothing in
> /etc/namedb/s.

It will only cache stuff in memory, so you won't see any of the cache on
disk.  If you want to see what's in the cache, run 'ndc dumpdb' which
will save the cache somewhere, depending on where you configured it.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D