Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:36:39 -0600
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make arguments and buildworld

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:18:08 -0600, Nikolas Britton
<freebsd@nbritton.org> wrote:

> Gerard Seibert wrote:
>
> >I am going to do a fresh install of FreBSD 5.3 this weekend on my
> >computer. Immediately after the installation I want to do a
> >buildworld and install a custom kernel.
> >
> >My question is what special arguments should I use in the 'make.conf'
> >file for this project.  Is it really necessary to change this file at
> >all? I was reading the handbook and it mentioned the 'CFLAGGS' entry
> >and a few others.
> >

> I'd recommend leaving CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS alone (I've only managed to
> make problems when I set these),

Well, that, of course, is a matter of opinion.  If you want the most
optimization possible, you could try using "-O2" or even "-O3".  I've
been using "-O3" quite successfully here lately, with the exception of a
couple of ports which required changing it to "-O2".

I believe the "-pipe" switch is on by default (as well as "-O", but if
not, it does help to speed up builds a bit as well.

> but I would change CPUTYPE to your
> CPU Type, options are:
>
> AMD CPU:   athlon-mp, athlon-xp, athlon-4, athlon-tbird, athlon, k6-3,
> k6-2, k6, k5

And don't forget athlon64!  In fact, I initially setup my amd64 box by
installing from an i386 CD set I had here, then cross-compiling the
world and kernel using "-march=athlon64 -m64".

> Intel CPU:    p4, p3, p2, i686, i586/mmx, i586, i486, i386
>
> If you want to rebuild a custom kernel add this:
> KERNCONF=FOOBAR

And copy /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf/GENERIC to
/usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf/FOOBAR and edit to taste, where ${ARCH} equals
your machine architecture (i386, amd64, etc.).

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"