Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:06:07 -0400
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        C Mead <wham@crashmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 mini-iso wont boot off SCSI cdrom

On Sunday 06 April 2003 02:15 pm, C Mead wrote:
> > Alright, well you have an IDE drive you can install with if you want to.
> > If you want to find the problem, that is what you'd probably have to do.
> > With the dmesg we may be able to figure it out.
>
> Oops, I didnt have this list defined in my muttrc, so it replied
> directly to you, my apologies for the off list mail.

no problem, now that you fixed it.

> I dont know what to do but I do know that it definetly won't install off
> the current setup ;).
>
> I'll slap the IDE back in and install from there. What exactly are we
> looking for in dmesg, just that the drive gets detected?

that and the controller.  It is possible you have a controller that is not
supported.  It is also possible your scsi chain is not terminated properly,
or has slight glitches, even if other operating systems work with it.  That
is unlikely though.
Try interupting the boot loader and issue a boot -v from the prompt.
but if you can use the installer from the IDE cdrom to install, to the drive
on the scsi chain then the controller is supported.

Tim