Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:17:04 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "M Fitzgerald" <malcolm@asauthors.org>
To:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   virtual hosts take an age to resolve

I'm new to freeBSD and I want to be using it as a test server for web
development. Apache is running but I am having trouble with virtual hosts.
Requesting a static page from a virtual host address takes a long time. It
seems as though the request for virtual.host.name is being sent to the
internet DNS, where (of course) it can't be found before it tries locally.
I have tried to treat it as a problem with httpd.conf. I've been on irc
#apache but they ran out of advice without finding a solution. Now I'm
treating it as a BSD network configuration problem. I looked at
resolv.conf and named.conf but they appear to be correct. I'm too new to
be sure.

This is what I'm sure of. I have this line in hosts.

127.0.0.1    dummy.ccccnsw.org.au    cccc

typing cccc in the location bar of a web browser does two things:
1. the nickname immediately switches to http://dummy.ccccnsw.org.au
2. after a minute or two the page is displayed

Where should I be looking to fix this problem?

Catholic Financial Services
Send and Receive all online Payments and Donations
No Merchant Account Required!
https://www.catholicfs.org/