Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:38:22 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Gilad Rom <lickyou@localhost.my.domain>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA Problems.

On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 04:12:52PM +0000, Gilad Rom wrote:

> I have been having problems enabling my EIDE controller's support for DMA.
>
> The controller works fine when setting the flags to 0x80ff, but it barfs whenever
> trying to set the flags to 0xa0ff.
>
> dmesg says the controller is busmaster capable, yet it hangs when trying to mount
> the filesystem. Here is an output of dmesg, together with the error messages:

[dmesg snipped]

> Now the system hangs completely and stops responding.
> It works fine when I set the wdc0 flags to 0x80ff, however, I was hoping
> to find out what is wrong with it.

I've seen this happen as well on a VXTWO (VIA Technologies Apollo VPX/97)
board with a UDMA drive...it gets interrupt timeouts and can't mount root, or
read anything from the hard drive.

> The motherboard Chipset is a TXPro one, are there any known problems/faults with
> this kind of chipset?

It's actually an Acer Labs (ALi) M1533 Aladdin IV+ chipset. I'm running a
board running this same set, and all seems fine here. Only caveat is that I
don't have a UDMA drive (it's just DMA mode 4).

PS: All of these VXPro and VXTWO and TXPRO boards are made by one
consortium based in Hong Kong, called PCChips. Their older boards have had
nasty reputations because of poor QA, but the TXpro and TXTWO boards are
much better (it might be because Acer is helping out, I do not know).

--
Lee Cremeans -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet and WTnet)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did