Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:45:51 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <niclas.zeising@gmail.com>
To:        Gabor PALI <pgj@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Documentation Contributors

On 2010-09-02 00:46, Gabor PALI wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am looking for volunteers who are interested in writing
> documentation, i.e. working with the FreeBSD Handbook and the
> documentation set.  Many of our great documentation writers have
> decided to retire from their work over the last years, which means the
> FreeBSD Documentation Project is in need of talented, skilled,
> determined, and ambitious people who would help to maintain the
> tradition of producing high quality documentation for the FreeBSD
> operating system.
>
> The documentation set is prepared in DocBook that might seem a bit
> complicated at first sight, but I can assure you it can be learned
> quickly.  All you need is good writing skills in English, some
> knowledge of FreeBSD systems, and willingness to learn even more about
> them.  To coordinate and encourage the efforts, I have created a site
> [1] called "The FreeBSD Contributor's Documentation Project" that
> contains the necessary information.  Note that there are many ways of
> contribution: you can comment open Problem Reports or write patches
> (by using Mercurial Queues for example), etc. depending on your free
> time.  I can help with anything at the regular weekly IRC meetings,
> and you can contact me via email directly any time, and hopefully
> other documentation developers will also join me.
>

> Thank you for any help in advance.
>
> :g
>
> [1] http://doc.hu.freebsd.org/

Hi!
Just a nitpick, would it be possible to move that site to the wiki,
where most other stuff related to FreeBSD development is? It's not meant
as critique towards your work, just a suggestion.
Also, a list of open tasks would probably be valuable. For instance a
list where people who find errors or discrepancies in the docs can add
them so other people find them and can work on them. I know this is what
the PR system is built for, but the PR system might be a bid cumbersome
for just making annotations and stuff like that.
Just some suggestions on how to make this flow better. Hopefully I will
have some time to actually do some of the work involved too. :)
Keep up the good work!
Best Regards!
//Niclas