Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 09:29:22 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror and partitioning

>> acd0: CDROM <GCR-8523B/1.01> at ata0-master PIO4
>> ad8: 152626MB <SAMSUNG HD160JJ ZM100-33> at ata4-master SATA150
>> ad10: 152627MB <SAMSUNG HD160JJ ZM100-33> at ata5-master SATA150
>>
> Sadly, yes; or buy a bigger second disk. You could do the install on the
> smaller disk first, or you could make ad10s1 smaller.

Okay, I did this. But I'm still interested in the topic. The size of a
hard drive is determined by the manufacturer. It depends on how many
sectors, heads and cylinders present in the device. The actual available
size can be smaller because of bad sectors on the disc. But the BIOS (or
FreeBSD) should detect the full size, including all sectors. These
devices are identical. Then how in the hell could it add one more MB to
the second device? I presume if I swap drives between ata4-master and
ata5-master then still ad10 would be bigger. Is this a bug in FreeBSD?

   Laszlo