Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:27:32 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <reso3w83@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reparing FreeBSD ports tree.

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 12:58 am, Christian Tischler wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> My primary question is how to repair a broken ports tree. I did a
> portupgrade to CVS FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE, and now my ports tree ist all
> screwed up. There are tons of wrong/failed/whatever dependencies and
> some ports wont  work.
> How can I repair this problem without an complete reinstall of the
> system? I have a lot of services running for my local net and a huge
> amount of configurations.
> For exsample when I do /usr/ports/make index I get:
> ----------
> # make index
> Generating INDEX - please wait..apsfilter-7.2.5_5:
> "/usr/ports/print/acroread5" non-existent -- dependency list
> incomplete ===> print/apsfilter failed
> *** Error code 1
> 1 error

In /usr/ports/MOVED,

"print/acroread5|print/acroread|2004-12-23|last Acrobat Reader port
remaining"

which means this directory has been moved.

My advice is to run sysutils/portmanager and NEVER ever run pkgdb -F if
you want to keep your dependencies from getting messed up.

portmanager will automatically remove your installed print/acroread5
because it has been removed from cvs, it does not use INDEX files
so they will become a non issue for you as well.

 The only way to protect your "large amount of configurations" is to
back them up!  You never know when a port is going to over write a
configuration file so if they are real important to you, back them up.

-Mike