Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:50:48 -0500
From:      "Erich M. Jenkins" <ejenkins@bogfrog.com>
To:        freebsd-config@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   corrupt disklabel

I have recently had a problem with the disklabel a drive in one of my
servers. I had just installed an additional hard drive and was running a
backup when the system halted due to a kernel fault (caused by dead RAM,
as I later found out) and fsck managed to clobber my disklabel. The
drive had about 40 gigs of data on it that would be nice to have back.

I've tried gpart and numerous other open source and commercial packaged,
though none are able to read the partition or disklabel information.
After running a hex dump on the drive, I was  pleased to find the data
still intact, even though the drive is a bit confused.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Erich M. Jenkins
Sys Admin