Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 20:10:30 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing from NT to a FreeBSD printer via LPR fails

At 1:25 PM -0700 4/26/02, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
>now I am trying to get the NT servers to print to [my printer].
>They have lpr enabled and can connect to the printer.  When I
>send a print test page the spooler starts then fails, NT printer
>spooler window shows printing - print failed. No messages are
>written to the /var/lpd-errs file. 'lpc status all' shows all
>are printing and queuing is enabled. I have added the names
>of the NT machines to the /etc/hosts.lpd file and
>the /etc/hosts file (also tried with ip addresses).

I was hoping someone else could help you with this, as I do
not have much experience with lpr-implementations on windows.
But I did not see anyone else reply to you, so I'll give it
a shot...

>I've stopped and restarted the lpd daemon.
>What am I missing?

Try starting lpd with the '-W' option.  You might need that.

Also try starting lpd with the '-c' option.  This will cause
connection-time errors to be written to syslog (and thus to
/var/log/lpd-errs or /var/log/messages).  Usually lpd will
only print such error messages back to the connecting host,
but windows tends to hide those error messages from the user.

Note that both of these options are fairly new.  Check
'man lpd' to see if the lpd on your system knows about them.