Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:55:00 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        wblock@wonkity.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Profiling and merging for the print edition

----Security_Multipart(Fri_Jun_21_00_55_00_2013_389)--

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1306171145490.79915@wonkity.com>:

wb> My proposal for merging the ISBN branch and getting out of our
wb> two-branch problem.
wb>
wb> First, profiling works.  A demo file of the Porter's Handbook is here:
wb> http://wonkity.com/~wblock/profiledemo/
wb>
wb> After applying the patch, build either the online or print version of
wb> the book with:
wb>
wb>   make EDITION=online clean book.html
wb>   make EDITION=print  clean book.html
wb>
wb> The "online" version includes all sections with edition="online" or an
wb> edition not set.

 Please do not add a separate make variable for that.  We already have
 FORMATS, and setting profiling variables (profile.attribute and
 profile.value in XSLT) based on it should work.

 Also, we should consider/discuss what kind of difference we need
 actually and should allow between the two first.  Basically I am
 against marking up everything with "online" or "print" because it
 just makes the source files complicated.  I think it is useful only
 for separating lengthy preface, edition history, and pgpkey list from
 the body in book.xml.

wb>     Immediately merge the ISBN branch to head
wb>
wb>     Start using profiling in the entire Handbook
wb>
wb>     When ready to print the book:
wb>
wb>       branch ISBN
wb>
wb>       in the branch, make only the changes absolutely needed for print
wb>       that cannot be done with profiling
wb>
wb>       print the book
wb>
wb>       the ISBN branch becomes historical, no new changes are merged to
wb>       it

 I agree with the above plan.  We should work on content changes on
 head.

-- Hiroki