Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 12:04:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Glenn McMillen <mcmillen@pond.com>
To:        Pat_Barron@transarc.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on large IDE drives

Hi:

I have the same setup as you with a Maxtor 7850 AV disk on  PCI local bus
board with a Pentium 75 MHz processor (Digital Starion 300i). I could not
for the life of me, get ANY bsd to install properly. (2.0R and 3/22
snashot) It seems that the 32 value is automagically reverted back to 16
heads.  I found the spot in the source code where it happens and it's in
the latest part too, so it's still there.

Anyways, what I ended up doing was loading up Linux from the latest
slackware disks.  Which leads me to an observation, bsd and slackware may
be free, but the money is going to the blank disk manufacturers ;)

Anyways, I really would like o use freebsd instead of linux, but linux
works for me and bsd doesn't, so it looks like i use linux for now :(
I use suns at work and it would be nice to have the same type of sys
admin at home too, but alas, poor Glenn, had to buy the upscale computer,
didn't ya!  Anyways, unfortunately, try Linux.

Glenn

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995 Pat_Barron@transarc.com wrote:

> OK, I feel like a moron for asking this, but I've read the FAQs several
> times I'm I'm still not sure.
>
> I have a Maxtor 7850 AV disk.  This is an IDE drive with 1654 cylinders,
> which does not do any kind of translation.  When I'm installing 2.0R
> (using the "newer" floppy images) I can diddle the geometry in FDISK
> so that it's recorded as 1023 cylinders (the largest value my BIOS will
> accept), but when I tell it "Use entire disk for FreeBSD", it still sets
> it up for 1654 cylinders.  Anyway, when I try to install like that, all
> the newfs's and such work fine, and the install proceeds without incident
> to the "remove the floppys now and reboot from the hard disk" point, but
> then the boot manager can not load FreeBSD.  Which tells me that it's
> having a problem with the drive geometry.
>
> Is there any way I can get this working, getting FreeBSD to use the entire
> drive while the BIOS only knows about 1023 cylinders?  Am I just completely
> hosed?
>
> Thanks for any advice.....
>
> --Pat.

Glenn McMillen                                     mcmillen@pond.com