Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:39:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Funky load average

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>   This seems to fall into the "And why is this a problem?" category.
>
>   The load average represents the average number of process in the run
> queue or short term wait.  No evidence to suggest that isn't the correct
> value for your system.

The problem is that I'm not 100% sure they aren't waiting on something
that needs to be upgraded, such as network connectivity, disk i/o (after
all this IS a new system which I haven't fully proven yet), etc. etc.

Perhaps the better question would have been "Is there a way to tell what
the waiting processes are waiting on so I can determine whether I should
just ignore the load average and get on with my life?"

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE