Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:33:04 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Harry Veltman <veltman@intergate.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 07:05:19PM -0700, Harry Veltman wrote:
> After installing FreeBSD 4.8 into an unpartitioned free-space, it states
> that the installation was successful, but when I start the computer and
> press F3 to load FreeBSD instead of NT 4, it finally wants me to enter my
> user name and password.  After doing so, it displays a "$" sign and a
> blinking space which waits for me to enter a command, but I have no clue
> what it wants me to enter.  If I enter / is states "permission is denied."
[...]
> Installing FreeBSD is very frustrating.

Well, you don't have to worry about installation, what you've
described is a successful installation.

Unforturnately, from your email it looks like FreeBSD isn't quite the
fit you want. You need to decide whether you want to do the hard yards
and do quite a bit of studying UNIX basics. There are quite a few
resources out there on UNIX, both on the 'Net and as books.

For your system to look like something you've been used to under
Windows, you'll have to install 3rd party software - which is a breeze
under FreeBSD, but it does require you to have some basic UNIX knowledge
to start with.

If you decide to press ahead, it *will* be a very satisfying
experience; and the people on freebsd-question@freebsd.org will be
more than willing to help with *specific* questions.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
                         Power corrupts, Absolute Power is pretty neat