Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:06:47 +0100
From:      Michael Schuster <michael.schuster@sun.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: why would Sparc be soo sloow?

Mikhail,

(I read -digest, so this may already be answered)

> I'm puzzled by the poor performance of our SparcIII @900MHz.

You need to give us some more information to even give an educated guess,
things like
- memory installed
- no# of CPUs installed
- other HW config aspects, like storage in use, etc
for both (!) machines, as well as characteristic of the application, such
as
- memory footprint
- I/O behaviour, etc.

Is anything else happening while you're testing, or do you have exclusive
access to the machines?

To analyse a few things for yourself, you could look at the output (and
man-pages :-) of these commands:

- iostat
- vmstat *
- mpstat *
- prstat

* you'll have to ignore the first line ouf output for these commands,
they're a statistic over the uptime of the machine.

For obvious reasons, I cannot offer to analyse any data for you, I hope
though that this will get you going.

Michael

Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'